Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:02:00 +0000
On Jul 14, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:52:19PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> On Jul 12, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have just committed (r253305) a change the make pkg_install not being built
>>> and installed by default on HEAD.
>>>
>>> If you are still relying on it, be careful and add WITH_PKGTOOLS=yes in your
>>> src.conf(5)
>>
>> I think while a good move, we need to allow a window of development to re-work other HEAD components.
>>
>> It might also be worth developing a lint-tool to make sure we get every last instance (both from C code and sh code) within our base before we motion to cut a release with this change.
>>
>> I for one am effected and will have to change things.
>>
>> Can you point us at a guide (or even better, a Wiki) that can smooth the process?
>
> I have already pointed you to such resources a couple of time before you started
> working on the package management part of bsdconfig.

Respectfully... look at the reply-text. I didn't mention bsdconfig. I was asking in-general for others. I think we're all in agreement that a transition Wiki does not exist. I'm not upset that the conversation was turned into a bsdconfig-specific one (on the contrary, elated)... but for the very reason that you had already given me pointers in the past, I did not come right out and say "hey, could you re-tell me everything you told me before because I've forgotten most of it?" but instead I pointed out that we don't have a transition Wiki.

So I do supremely apologize if I ask a question that you already answered in the past.

My excuse is that you pointed me to such resources almost 10 months ago. And for that entire 10 months, I'd been working on the package management part of bsdconfig. I *just* got my head above water and then it was announced that pkg_install is going away, and what perfect timing -- having just finished the pkg_install-based framework for which I plan to base the pkgng integration.

> May I remember you that at
> this time I have recommanded you to directly work on the pkgng version?

This comment doesn't seem to be related to any of the reply-text above it. I'll assume it's tainted by the other messages in this thread. For bsdconfig, let me just re-iterate...

+ bsdconfig is the tool to replace "sysinstall configPackages".
+ It will not do anything "weird" or "strange" or "out of place" **
+ It will try to be an example as well as a re-usable and extendable tool

(and on the back of those last two comments, again, bsdconfig pkgng integration is not associated with any funky handling of package MANIFEST files or any black-magic voodoo that I do at $work with "pkgbase").

** Unless a UI enhancement can be made by subverting a decidedly non-UI tool to provide more feedback than simply blocking on an opaque process.

> I have
> also explained you 2 or 3 times at least what is a catalog in pkgng how it works
> what pkg query and pkg rquery will give you as a script writter.

Again, apologies if I ask a question that *seems* like it's been asked before.

And it would be a lie for me to say I've forgotten *everything* from our prior conversations. However, I may repeat some questions as it was almost 10 months ago that I was last looking at pkgng (getting "bsdconfig packages" done for 9.2-R was a *lot* of work and it depleted my brain of pretty much everything else for that entire time -- except for $work of course, but every night for 10 months, 7 days a week, I ate, drank, slept, and smoked "bsdconfig packages").

If I could recount something from our conversations from 10 months ago... I would say that you and I agreed that I needed to get the framework done and that I could best do that unencumbered if it were pkg_install based. Well that's been done (it was a hell of a lot of work, but I got it done).

I'm saying that one sole request (to get the framework ready for pkgng) is now done and we need to reconvene to take the next step.
--
Devin