Re: cron(8) improvement

From: Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:45:28 +0800
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> The point I'm making is this:
>
> * when populating rc.conf.d/, don't just do 'cp' in a post-install script
> * when populating the cron daemon entries in rc.cron.d, don't just
> 'cp' in a post-install script.

sounds like we need a ports/pkg config system for admins *after* they
have been installed, if bsdconfig interface for en-/disabling services
is too simple to do what users want. For cron.d I believe only a few
will object it. It is only question who should put files in it.

Taking dbus/hald for example, that probably belongs to xorg meta-ports
to do the necessary works to enable it, if dbus users prefer to enable
it manually. And that will involve painful package dependencies.
Imagine more complex cases like letting user choose cron tasks to
enable.

ports/pkg being a wrapper around 3rd party packages, inevitably it
will need to decide some default settings in advance for user. For
compile time it is probably ok, or user can choose to compile it with
different options. Do we need to agree on some common user interface
to do the run-time user-adjustable settings for applications? That's
probably also subject to what a pkg install should do by definition.

-Jia-Shiun.