Re: what is the status of KMS support in newcons?

From: Michael Schnell <s-tlk_at_s-tlk.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 02:27:01 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:46:50 -0700
> John Reynolds <johnjen_at_reynoldsnet.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was just wondering what the status of KMS support with newcons is?
>> About 6 weeks ago I got some help on x11_at_ and much was said about KMS
>> (and the lack of support for the 'newer' Haswell graphics). somebody
>> mentioned that one of the problems where the "console goes away" once
>> you fire up X was that the console driver didn't support KMS, so you
>> could never really successfully alt-Ctrl-bksp and kill X (or exit
>> cleanly) and get back to your VT. Word was said that this problem was
>> being worked on and hopefully would get brought in towards the "tail
>> end of august."
>>
>> So, am just wondering what the status of that project is?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> -Jr

> Hello John!
>
> I can't say anything about Haswell support, but newcons works,
> sometimes :) Just not now.
There is currently no Haswell graphic support in Current. I've a new
Dell Latitude E7240 with a Core i5 4200 and i915kms didn't attach to it.
I added then support and managed to start the X server, but there were
quite some changes necessary, e.g adding the ID and feature set to agp,
i915 and drm2, plus some changes in registers etc.

Perhaps it's better to directly import the latest version from the linux
kernel? I also suffered some problems now with this version like I
cannot shutdown the machine anymore. The display freezes (with my
desktop background, not going black as expected without newcons) and
what is worse there is no dump.

> I've currently doing some redesign, so it is broken last week.
> Hope I will done something for wide testing in a week or so, but I'm
> afraid it will not be fully done to be shipped with 10.0.
>
> I will let you and others to know when something will happen :)
That sounds great.

Greetings
Michael