Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:01:30 -0700
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Russell L. Carter <rcarter_at_pinyon.org> wrote:

> I love this idea.  I recently moved back to FreeBSD after 14 years on
> debian, and was shocked at how great poudriere + pkg is for
> maintaining a consistent set of packages for a cluster of systems. (I
> know it's pitiful compared to the cloud, but I've got 3 FreeBSD and 3
> debian-testing atm, and two of those debians are in danger of forced
> religious conversion. :-) The main reason I moved to debian in the
> first place is I was working in high user-space and I needed "office"
> apps (egads) working consistently and reliably through upgrades, and
> the ports system then was not up to the job.  It is now!  Basically,
> poudriere + pkg is debian apt-file + apt-cache + apt-get + approx with
> the added benefit of site specific, port-specific options.  Maybe like
> arch?
>
> So I would be very willing to contribute to this project, if that
> makes sense.

Wow, it's great to read about your experience.
We need to get more experiences like yours mentioned online in blogs,
tweets, etc.
so that when people go to www.freebsd.org, or do a web search,
they can see nice stories like yours.

I guess we can move this conversation to the freebsd-doc_at_ mailing
list, as David Chisnall suggested.

One complaint I have about the FreeBSD project, is that the core
project contributors and developers rely too much on
e-mail for communication.  This certainly works, and I use it too, but
new and casual users getting into FreeBSD
may get lost in the maze of FreeBSD mailing lists.  It would be nice
if more of the core project contributors
used the web forums ( http://forums.freebsd.org ), since stuff like
that shows up nicely in web searches, and it is easier
for newcomers to find stuff, and jump in and contribute to threads,
versus mailing lists.

--
Craig