Re: newcons comming

From: Aleksandr Rybalko <ray_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:49:21 +0200
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:51:26 +0100
Jean-Sébastien Pédron <dumbbell_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 10.02.2014 22:07, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > Also, even at native resolution, switching consoles takes LCD considerable
> > time to redraw screen contents.  Looks like it's not accelerated at all...
>
> I used the following (hackish) patch which fixed the slow redraw problem
> for me, but I don't know if it still works:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dumbbell/radeonkms/wr4-only-no-copy-vt_fb.c.patch
>
> I still need to take some time to discuss it with ray_at_.
>
> --
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron

Hi Jean!

currently vt(9) do not blank screen on each vt switch.
About your patch, think we will better malloc line size buffer (when VM
become ready) to not trap into "slow read from video mem" problem.
Before VM come up, we have only one screen blank and since modern
system mostly use main memory, it will be viable only for devices with
separate video memory and only at boot time (or even use wr4 before VM
became ready).

Thanks!

WBW
--