Re: Import of DragonFly Mail Agent

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 09:10:19 -0800
On Feb 24, 2014, at 8:50 AM, David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Or, purely hypothetically, if your goal was to make it work, you could just use Poudriere which will take a list of packages that you need and build a package set for you, which you can stick on a DVD / USB stick / whatever and take into your production environment.

For all the air-gapped shops I dealt with, any package builds had to be done inside the air-gap.  (Those were the rules - I didn't make them.)

The bottom line was: the fewer external dependencies to build a basically useful system, the better.

> If Poudriere doesn't do what you want, then constructive feature requests are always welcome (bapt likes having us add things to his to-do list - he has way too much free time).

What would really help is if the ports fetch-recursive-list target could extend to reliably include the distfiles for the runtime dependencies as well.  But I'm not even sure that's possible.  We tried a few different things, but in the end we had to brute force it by running 'make fetch' in every one of the ports directories in order to get all the distfiles onto an external system, which we then rsynced to a USB drive, marched inside, and rsynced to the fileserver.  Not pretty ... but with all the distfiles at hand we knew the inside ports builds wouldn't fail due to missing dependencies.

--lyndon