Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:38:25 -0500
"No" (as portmgr).

Ports should not be touching the base system like this. Let's NOT go
backwards and add a /bin/bash. In fact the /usr/bin/perl one will be
removed soon as well.

If we can actually eliminate ports touching /usr and / (not including
/usr/local and /var) then we gain a very large memory optimization for
package building by being able to ro null-mount these to the build jails.

There's no reason for bash (and perl) to be exceptions to the 24000
other ports that install to /usr/local/bin. I can think of dozens of
other ports that will fall into the same arguments being made here, but
it does not mean it is the right thing for FreeBSD.

If you want to install the symlink on your system feel free to do it. I
install a static bash to /bin/bash on mine and only because I prefer
bash shell and want it in / for single-user mode. That's my personal
choice though.

The proper fix is to fix scripts to be portable and use #! /usr/bin/env
bash rather than /bin/bash.

We install all packages to PREFIX=/usr/local by default. Why should a
bin symlink be an exception? There's no suggestion for symlinking
includes or libraries which also hit users often.