Re: upgrading current -> graphics bug

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 09:55:54 -0800
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Roberto Rodriguez Jr. <
witchdoctor.mdf_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> 5-Are you configuring xorg with xorg.conf(deprecated) or starting
> xorg with 'startx'(xinit) or are you using a display manager(xdm)?

Huh? Since when is xorg.conf deprecated? While it is generally best to
start out with no xorg.conf file, reality is that you will most likely
need  a small xorg.conf file with things like additional modules,
additional fonts, setup of multiple displays, etc. As far as I know, the
use of the nvidia driver requires an xorg.conf file in all cases. (I have
not had an nVidia card for a few years, so this may have changed.) It is
certainly a good idea to keep the xorg.conf file as small as possible.

I am also confused by the series of "or"s in that xorg.conf is entirely
orthogonal to whether X is started with "startx" or a display manager.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com