Re: libXO-ification - tangent on JSON choices

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:25:04 +0000
On 16 Nov 2015, at 21:04, Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> First let me say that I wish I had more time to contribute to the project,
> but I seem to be caught in variety of long drawn-out hassles in real-life.
> Otherwise I would already know the answer to this question:
>
> Is there some specification for what JSON is created by the various FBSD
> utilities?  I did not see any discussion of that in the earlier threads
> on this.  I don't mean "what is syntatically correct JSON?", I mean some
> kind of guidelines of what property-names would be used across commands,
> and what values should be for those properties.

There is not, currently.  Until 11.0 is branched, it should be considered to be in flux, but after that then we are going to provide backwards compatibility (i.e. you can add fields to the JSON, but you can’t remove them).  Before this point, it would be good to have some consensus of on what properties should be common and what each should be providing, and regression tests for the JSON (the XML is isomorphic to the JSON, so probably doesn’t need testing separately).

If you want to provide a first draft of some recommendations, they would be very welcome,

David