Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:15:47 -0600
> On Apr 19, 2016, at 4:12 PM, Matthew Grooms <mgrooms_at_shrew.net> wrote:
>
> On 4/19/2016 3:09 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> As far as I know, nobody is taking the source code or the Makefiles
>> away, so if somebody doesn't like the system being distributed with
>> pkg, they can very well roll their own.
>>
>> It's nice to see the level of enthusiasm the FreeBSD project can
>> muster, I just wish it wasn't always enthusiasm for stopping progress.
>>

> Maybe I missed an email in this thread, but I don't recall anyone completely rejecting the idea of packaging the base system. What I see is a discussion related to doing it in the best way possible.

Sadly the tenor and tone of the discussion isn’t one where progress is made. The tone has been a bit toxic and demanding, which grinds people into dust, rather than motivating them to fix things. You might call it a discussion, but it reads to me more as a bunch of angry villagers storming the castle. No good can come from that. Tone down the outrage by a factor of 100 and try to have the conversation again.

Warner