Re: buildworld fails while building static clang library

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 05:34:40 -0400
On 5 August 2017 at 16:16, Dimitry Andric <dim_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> I remember there being an issue with ar and/or ranlib choking when the
> .a files become too big.  Ed, does that ring any bells?

Our ar (and ranlib, which is the same binary) will produce a corrupt
symbol table if the .a archive output is larger than 4GB, because we
support only 32-bit offsets in the older "/" symbol table format, not
the "/SYM64/" format and 64-bit offsets.

As with GNU ar from binutils 2.17.50 we silently truncate if the
offset does not fit in 32 bits. I'll have a patch for review soon to
exit on error rather than produce corrupted output, and hope to look
at adding /SYM64/ support later on.