Re: buildworld fails while building static clang library

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 22:16:29 +0200
On 5 Aug 2017, at 21:55, Aijaz Baig <aijazbaig1_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I was a bit sceptical of this as it was failing with that same port (or is clang a port by the way?) all the time. So as you suggested, I reduced my '-j' number and it still fails at the very same place with the very same error. Is it because the clang port doesn't allow parallel make jobs?
>
> Nonetheless, as to my query regarding building the world, based on what my goals are (as I stated earlier), does it require me to actually build the whole world?
>
> Regards,
> Aijaz Baig
>
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2017, at 06:00, Aijaz Baig <aijazbaig1_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to buildworld and it works well for quite some time until it
> > tries to build the static version of the clang library where it fails. The
> > error it spits is:
> >
> > Killed
> > *** [all_subdir_lib/clang/libclang] Error code 137
> >
> > make[5]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/clang
>
> I'm just guessing, but the most likely cause is lack of memory.  Please
> check dmesg for any messages like "pid foo (bar), uid baz, was killed:
> out of swap space".  To work around this, you can temporarily add more
> swap space, or lower your -j level.

Hm, now I read that your obj dir is on NFS, you might be hitting some
4GiB filesize limit for the final .a file.  Are you building world with
a very low optimization level, and debug information on?

I remember there being an issue with ar and/or ranlib choking when the
.a files become too big.  Ed, does that ring any bells?

-Dimitry