Re: buildworld fails while building static clang library

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:08:05 -0700
Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org wrote on
Sat Aug 5 20:16:53 UTC 2017 :

> Hm, now I read that your obj dir is on NFS, you might be hitting some
> 4GiB filesize limit for the final .a file.  Are you building world with
> a very low optimization level, and debug information on?
>
> I remember there being an issue with ar and/or ranlib choking when the
> .a files become too big.  Ed, does that ring any bells?

For an example of this for libWebCore.a and ar see bugzilla 206679 .

Quoting part of comment 2:

. . .
I would have guessed that the file format has some 4GB limit that might have been reached, explaining why the terminology reads like a file truncation instead of out-of-memory.

Looking around some I found one 2012 reference to code in ar that was reported to then look like:

	  /* Catch an attempt to grow an archive past its 4Gb limit.  */
	  if (archive_member_file_ptr != (file_ptr) offset)
	    {
	      bfd_set_error (bfd_error_file_truncated);
	      return FALSE;
	    }
. . .

===