Re: Booting native 4K SSD disk from FreeBSD ?

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 08:16:03 +0300
> On 4 Oct 2017, at 00:18, Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I accidentially ordered a Sata SSD disk which diskinfo reports a sector-size 4K instead of 512 bytes. Trying to get it to boot under FreeBSD appeared impossible. Then I started looking into the boot0,1,2 and loader and the assumptions they make about 512 byte sector size LBA :-(
>
> Anyone has any recommendations or experience about how to use native 4K disks with FreeBSD?

The fastest way right now is via UEFI boot, it should be able to cope with 4k, but as Allan noted, there may be some corners.

The BIOS version is totally out right now, it only is supporting 512B sectors. I have been working to fix it starting with loader libi386 biosdisk interface (for loader itself), but due to lack of time it has been delayed somewhat. The plain loader bits are done, but the +GELI needs more work (the code has to cope with 512/4k sector and GELI is only doing 4k logical IO). The hard part is about the boot1 code (boot1,gptboot etc) and thats due to boot block area size limits (in existing setups). We are struggling to fit into UFS boot block area, and freebsd-boot and ESP sizes are also very small, making all this pain in the …

rgds,
toomas