Re: NFSv4.1 server deficiencies fixed for ESXi client

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:29:44 +0000
Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>Have you any contact with VMWare so that they might fix the issues
>in thier code, rather than having to put hacks in FreeBSD for these
>issues?

Well, Jim White (who is not in their file system area) submitted a PR on their
system and the response was along the lines of:
Sorry to report the storage team punted the bug to a future release (which could be  indefinite).  The stated reason is that FreeBSD isn't a supported NFS 4.1 server.

As such, it didn't sound too promising. However, recent tests have shown that
ESXi6.7 is much better.

The packet traces I've seen sofar for the ESXi 6.7 client show none of the serious (and difficult to deal with without violating the RFC) problems.
It still does a ReclaimComplete with rca_one_fs == TRUE, but it also does the
required ReclaimComplete with rca_one_fs == FALSE. Although I believe the
ReclaimComplete with rca_one_fs == TRUE is only meant to be used after a
file system has been transferred to a different server (something the FreeBSD
server does not do at this time), the RFC is somewhat vague on when this is used,
so I think just replying NFS_OK to this without doing anything should be acceptable.
(I am going to look and see what the Linux server does for this case.)

As such, I'm hoping that there will be no need for "dirty hacks" for the ESXi6.7
client and this might soon be resolved.

Thanks go to those doing the testing (Andreas Nagy and Daniel Engel) and Jim White
for submitting the PR that somehow got fixed in a matter of days, rick