Re: timed restoral until deleter makes a port

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 17:09:19 -0700
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 5:03 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:13 PM Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Current box here is now about 10 seconds ahead, since timed was
> deleted,
> > > still waiting for the code vandal who removed timed from src/
> > > without proper discussion in advance, to move timed from src/ to ports/
> > >
> > > timed absence will bite more people when 13 is released.  timed
> > > should be restored to src/ until the code vandal is forced to write
> > > a ports/ entry.  Temporary removal of the src/ commit bit could
> encourage
> > > this & admonish irresponsible conduct.
> > >
> > > The tech issues have been discussed before, no need to repeat,
> > > this is just a question of enforcing responsible procedure.
> > >

> > The ball is in my court to approve a pull request so we can finish the
> > port. We have plenty of time before 13 and current, is after all,
> current.
> > So there's no need to do anything rash here.
> >
> > I think all the rest of this is without merit and an overreaction.
>
> Lets prevent this in the future and make it formal policy that
> if the solution to a removal from src is that a port be created
> the order must be port created and working, then src de-orbit.
>
> Agreeable?

I've been working through a checklist of things to do. Port may not always
be appropriate, but where it is, we should do it more quickly than we have
with timed. Of course, so far the lapse has only been about 6 weeks. at
least 5 of that was my fault for dropping the ball on approving a pull
request for the repo I distilled from our github mirror to preserve history
and blogging about how someone else might do something similar in the
future. I lost the context because I took time off over the holidays which
included travel for a remembrance of life, so a not unstressful time in my
life.

Each thing we retire we discover a better way to do the next thing in the
future. This is just another of those lessons. We're terrible about
documenting all this, and your point that we should fix that is well
founded and quite fair.

Warner