Re: Core: Yes please, Code of Conduct committee: No Thanks.

From: Dima Pasechnik <dimpase+freebsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 11:25:56 +0100
On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com> wrote:

> FreeBSD Core Team Secretary wrote:
> > The FreeBSD Core Team is aware of recent controversial statements made
> > on social media by a FreeBSD developer.  We, along with the Code of
> > Conduct review committee, are investigating the matter and will decide
> > what action to take.  Both the Core Team and the FreeBSD Foundation
> > would like to make it clear that views shared by individuals represent
> > neither the Project nor the Foundation.
>
> Core_at_ statements always welcome.
>
> But Code of Conduct committee merit no automatic credence since:
>
>   Code of Conduct aims were cloned from an ultra feminist group of
>   non FreeBSD members, part paid by foundation, then shoved on
>   FreeBSD before discussion, by a voluble few in FreeBSD

The present matter has nothing to do with feminism. Anyway, as someone
who has been chased upon by a gang of youths screaming "zhidovskaya
morda" ("Jewish snout") (Moscow, USSR, circa 1975, tough
neighbourhood, and well, I have a Jewish grandmother) I absolutely do
not appreciate the sort of thoughtless "freedom of speech" blah blah,
as far as expressions of hate towards particular ethnic groups are .
Because they always incite violence.
And yes, in USSR persons with ethnically Jewish parents had "Jew"
written in their internal IDs (just like in Nazi Germany). Under this
commonly accepted definition, saying "I hate Jews", as Mr. Kamp did on
twitter, is full-blown racism, and Mr. Kamp ought to offer an apology
for this - while he does not do it in
http://phk.freebsd.dk/sagas/israel/

While in some jurisdictions hate speech is legally protected, it does
not take away the hate in hate speech, and people generally don't like
being hated. Hate originating from a freebsd.* domain is not good for
the project.

Let me point few things in the  latter:

* there is nothing like "the jewish religion" - there is a religion
called Judaism, as Mr. Kamp ought to understand before
making statements on these. Everyone can convert to Judaism, by the way.

* Jews who are not Israeli citizens are about as responsible for
policies of Israel as descendants of Vikings are    responsible for
policies of Scandinavian states of today.

* I don't know anything about the legal status of the domain
"freebsd.dk" --- nevertheless I don't think it does do much good to
the reputation of FreeBSD to have these  slightly illiterate writings
there (although it might be bringing Mr.Kamp lucrative contracts from
such pillars of democracy and free thought and speech as Saudi Arabia,
Syria, and Iran :-))

Best,
Dima
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~coml0531/