Re: routed && route6d removal proposal

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 09:36:14 -0700
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 10:07:34 +0100 Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro_at_freebsd.org said

> 22.06.2020, 14:54, "Hiroki Sato" <hrs_at_freebsd.org>:
> > "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro_at_freebsd.org> wrote
> >   in <273191592779927_at_mail.yandex.ru>:
> >
> > me> Hey,
> > me>
> > me> I would like to propose removal of sbin/routed and usr.sbin/route6d.
Please don't.

> >  I am still using both of them in production environments because they
> >  work well at least for my configurations and most of promising
> >  alternatives are under GPL, not BSDL.
+1 on this.

I began using this around FreeBSD 6, and continued using it through 9. I
also chose this as a solution for several of my clients. I use it because
it's "cheap" -- simple, lightweight, and dependable. With near zero
maintenance -- and it's already available in $BASE. While fairly utilitarian
by today's standards. Sometimes you just need to get the job done, and this
does just that. Which IMHO makes this a shinning star.
Please don't remove this. It's going to make the lives of others a little
more difficult.

Thanks for taking time time to read.

--Chris