Re: Plans for git (was: Please check the current beta git conversions)

From: Dan Langille <dan_at_langille.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 14:45:45 -0400
On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> Seriously, Warner?

Yes, seriously. We are adults.  Act accordingly.

Don't be confused. I also thought the message he was replying to was out of line.

> I applaud Steve's message as being the first one in this thread that
> has any real value at all.  Unlike everyone else, he has clearly seen
> what the basic problem is (zero communications about this impending
> cutover to the people who need to work with it every day), and he
> summarized it in a completely practical way.

We disagree.  The message could have been worded without being negative.

> This assumption that everyone knows how to use git is mind-boggling.  I
> think I installed it once, a few years ago.  Then I uninstalled it
> because of how abysmally hard it was to try to learn even a few
> commands to do anything with it.

No, it's assumed you will learn. I did. We all can.

Please, we cooperate on this project. We don't attack, and yes, these were attacks.

> I guess Steve & I are a couple dinosaurs and the whole rest of the
> freebsd user and committer community is laughing at our ignorance and
> thinking "we don't need their contributions anyway, so let's just mock
> them and move on."

I don't think so. I'm guessing I'm older and more set in my ways.

There are much better ways to communicate that in recent messages.

--
  Dan Langille
  dan_at_langille.org