Re: ACPI Regression in -CURRENT?

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:17:14 +0200
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:38:18PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > This is due to the Dell laptops having an invalid ACPI table in the BIOS.
> > The only way to avoid these messages is to tell FreeBSD ACPI to override
> > the vendor supplied table with a correct one.
>
> Alternately, since Microsoft works just peachy with this
> thing, it's somewhat apparent that the Derefof() and Refof()
> can be implied by the types of the values being passed,

Not that I can read one bit of ASL, but I fail to see how this is apparent.
If it is, is it still as apparent to an interpreter?

> and the ACPI table parsing code should be changed to work like
> Microsoft's does, at least until FreeBSD displaces the 70%
> marketshare and can dictate defacto implementation standards,
> where Intel can't.

That would be great except probably nobody knows why this laptop
works with Windows without a hitch -- it could very well be that the
Dell drivers implement their own battery management and completely ignore
the fact that it's broken in their ACPI table.

> Yeah, I know that it's better to be correct than Microsoft
> compatible, but it's also better to work with hardware as
> shipped by vendors.
>
> Unless you think you can get Dell to rev their BIOS...

That would be great, but I don't have the contacts at Dell. Anybody
reading this who does?

--Stijn

--
This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't.
		-- Hofstadter