Re: ACPI Regression in -CURRENT?

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:12:06 +0200
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:46:32AM +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>:
>
> | > I tried that on my Inspiron 4150 with 5.1-RELEASE.  The patch failed,
> | > but only for trivial reasons like different placment of braces.
> |
> | Note that you have to patch the output of iasl -d, *NOT* the .asl file
> | that acpidump generates. There is a difference although they look alike.
>
> Aha.  But the diff you included clearly indicated it was a patch for
> insp4150.asl.  When I told patch to patch insp4150.dsl instead, using
> your patch, it applied cleanly, and moreover the fix now works to the
> extent that I don't get those error messages anymore.
>
> To be precise, I followed your exact instructions with this
> difference:
>
> # patch insp4150.dsl insp4150.patch

I'm sorry, like I wrote the earlier procedure was typed off of the top
of my head, and wasn't verified. I should have done that.

> | > Actually, acpiconf -s 3 seems to "almost" work: [...]
> |
> | According to Mark, this actually should work from within X --
> | something to do with DPMS.
>
> Still doesn't for me.  Same result.  Maybe I should learn what DPMS
> stands for.

Something with display power management. But maybe it's something else
then. Glad to hear the ACPI messages got sorted out at least :)

--Stijn

--
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.  There's a knob
called `brightness', but it doesn't work."