Re: bin/51619

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 22:56:36 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 7 May 2003, Kirk McKusick wrote:

> At one time I had the suggested change that you made in bin/51619
> in the FreeBSD-5.0 newfs program. The problem with that change is
> that the bootstrap on some architectures now exceeds 8K which means
> that instead of zeroing an old superblock you destroy the boot code.
> So, I removed the zeroing of the old UFS1 superblock area. A possible
> alternative would be to check for a UFS1 magic number at the old
> location (and also at the 16K first backup location) and zero out
> just those fields if they are found. While it is possible that a
> bootstrap might just have that number at that offset, it is highly
> unlikely.

Thanks for the historical perspective. I am not sure how big of a problem
my situation is, since it will only apply to people trying to run a
releng_4 fsck on a ufs2 filesystem under the special circumstances you
described. However, if it's something we can prevent with relative ease, I
think it's worthwhile to do so. No sense loading the foot-shooting gun
with more bullets than absolutely necessary.

Doug