Re: 5.0-R won't boot partition 60G into a drive

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:55:02 -0700
Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> For as long as I remember, FreeBSD has had issues booting a kernel
> beyond the first 1GB of a disk.  Some time last year, changes were made
> that allowed for this, but they were backed out because they caused
> other problems, and I don't remember them being brought back in.
>
> The solution many folks (including me) have used to get around this has
> been to make the first partition on the disk a small root partition for
> FreeBSD, then leave a partition reserved for Windows, and then continue
> with FreeBSD's partitions.
>
> This is easy if you install FreeBSD first, then install Windows and then
> reinstall the boot loader from the CDROM.

I recommend "Partition Magic".  Most Windows "recovery CDs"
these days will overwrite the entire disk, due to XP using
NTFS, and most recovery software disk mastering software
being too stupid to understand sizing/writing NTFS.  I.e.:
if you followed your advice on the order of operation, you
would end up overwriting your disk with nothing but Windows.

-- Terry