Re: Question related to FreeBSD Serial Console...

From: Nicole <nicole_at_daemontech.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
On 01-Sep-03 Unnamed Administration sources reported Scott Long said :
> Scott M. Likens wrote:
>> I have a question related to FreeBSD Serial console,
>>
>> I am aware you can use -Dh for both internal and serial, but is it
>> possible to see the 'kernel' "boot" messages sent on both the serial and
>> the console?
>>
>> It was a question that was asked to me by a client, and after
>> researching it more, it seems that it's not possible.
>>
>> Am i wrong?  or did I miss an option that's not documented?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Scott M. Likens
>>

> I'm a little confused by your request, but maybe adding the following
> line to /boot/loader.conf will get what you want?
>
> console="comconsole"
>
> There is also a way to get the console directed to both the video and
> serial at the same time, but I've forgotten the magic and can't find it
> at the moment.

 Heh magic is the right word ;)

 According to what I have found it is supposed to be:

 console="vidconsole"   To make it still choose internal console even if it does
not find a keyboard present at boot time. So you can walk up later and connect
a keyboard and have it work.

 Everytime I asked on the lists I got.. Oh go look here for the answer. Which I
had.. to which I got, oh well the answers in there..  No one ever was able to
say DO THIS.  Let alone anyone saying do this and have it work :(

 If you find the Magic please do let me know :)

 Nicole

> Scott

                     |\ __ /|   (`\
                     | o_o  |__  ) )
                    //      \\
 -  nicole_at_daemontech.com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 " Daemons" will now be known as "spiritual guides"
-Politically Correct UNIX Page

"Witchcraft is in essence the worship of the powers of this world,
 beautiful and terrible, but all in a circle under the turning sky
 that is the One."     -C.A. Burland, "Echoes of Magic"

"Connecting with energy is something humans have to be open
 to and talking about and expecting,  otherwise the whole human
 race can go back to pretending that life is about power over others
 and exploiting the planet.  If we go back to doing this,
 then we won't survive."      -James Redfield, "The Celestine Prophecy"