Re: Question related to FreeBSD Serial Console...

From: Scott M. Likens <damm_at_fpsn.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:07:37 -0700
On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 16:13, Nicole wrote:
> On 01-Sep-03 Unnamed Administration sources reported Scott Long said :
> > Scott M. Likens wrote:
> >> I have a question related to FreeBSD Serial console,
> >>
> >> I am aware you can use -Dh for both internal and serial, but is it
> >> possible to see the 'kernel' "boot" messages sent on both the serial and
> >> the console?
> >>
> >> It was a question that was asked to me by a client, and after
> >> researching it more, it seems that it's not possible.
> >>
> >> Am i wrong?  or did I miss an option that's not documented?
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> Scott M. Likens
> >>

> > I'm a little confused by your request, but maybe adding the following
> > line to /boot/loader.conf will get what you want?
> >
> > console="comconsole"
> >
> > There is also a way to get the console directed to both the video and
> > serial at the same time, but I've forgotten the magic and can't find it
> > at the moment.
>
>  Heh magic is the right word ;)
>
>  According to what I have found it is supposed to be:
>
>  console="vidconsole"   To make it still choose internal console even if it does
> not find a keyboard present at boot time. So you can walk up later and connect
> a keyboard and have it work.
>

>  Everytime I asked on the lists I got.. Oh go look here for the answer. Which I
> had.. to which I got, oh well the answers in there..  No one ever was able to
> say DO THIS.  Let alone anyone saying do this and have it work :(
>
>  If you find the Magic please do let me know :)

My god I think i'm gonna create a 10line signature to compete with you
guys.

At any rate, Thank you for the console="vidconsole" that should do the
trick of what i was seeking.

I just basically want it to send to both serial + vga at the same time,
that's all.

Because sometimes serial is required for remote purposes, ssh into a
control server, minicom over to the serial, wam.  Or if i'm at the
server, switchover the kvm and see what's up.

Can be hard during the boot process when something hangs and you can't
see shit until it's fully booted.

But thank you for your responses.

---

"I think we ought to be out there doing what we do best - making large
holes in other people's countries." - George Carlin