Re: Jails in -CURRENT

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning-freebsd-current_at_anduin.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:44:28 +0100
On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 14:01 +0100, Andy Hilker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I can give you an outline of what my script does, then it'll be
> > for you to judge if it can be called a 'jail management' tool.. ;)
>
> I have written a similar shell script:
> - config file for all jails
> - config file for mounts in jails
> - stop/start all and individual jails
> - stopping a jail identifies all procs and kill them. I think in
> current that could be better made with jexec.
> - list procs and mounts
>
> I am mounting binaries etc. ro from Host System. Only configuration,
> homes etc. are individual per jail.
> Updating is much easier.

Does this mean that the installed software in the jail is 'fixed'? I.e.
installed software on host == installed software in jail? Or do you only
r-o mount /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc. etc.? I've been considering such
an approach, and have already started making it an option in my script,
however wether or not this is wanted depends highly on how it's
implemented and what use you have for the jails.
Obviously in a jail that is acting as a true 'virtual server', this will
be less than optimal.

> > Future plans include finding a way to inject processes into jails
>
> In FreeBSD-Current no problem: jls / jexec
>
> If anyone interested, maybe someone could merge both shell scripts,
> picking the good things and discarding the bugs ;)

Good idea. Where can I find yours? I'm trying to write a manpage for
mine, then I'll pack it up and throw it up on my website. I will
probably put together a port aswell, but I have no idea how to proceed
with that ;)

/Eirik