Re: Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:37:05 +0100
Burhan Nazir <burhan_at_btinternet.com> writes:
> This controller may be crappy, however it is prevalent amongst many
> nforce2 chipsets.  In particular the asus A7N8X, which is ubiquitous.

You may find the following link to be of interest:

  http://12.24.47.40/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=10516

> In addition, the controller does work and has so far caused no
> problems under windows, so I am fairly pleased with it.

"works with Windows" has got to be the computer hardware equivalent of
"big in Japan"...

>                                                         So, I would
> hope that there is some talented deveoper out there that does not take
> your narrow minded view

I'm afraid you're the one being narrow-minded here.  Talent alone is
not sufficient to write a good driver.  Experience with the FreeBSD
kernel in general and the ata drivers in particular is a prerequisite,
as is access to sample hardware and chipset documentation.  You'll
have a hard time finding someone with more experience in this area
than Søren, and I wish you luck in obtaining documentation from
Silicon Image.

>                         and take mercy on all those people that would
> love to use freebsd with raid0 on their desktop machines.

There are plenty of other controllers you can use for RAID-0.  Most
Promise controllers, for instance, work flawlessly with FreeBSD, for
the simple reason that Promise actually cares enough to provide Søren
with the hardware and documentation he needs to write good drivers.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no