Re: "nanobsd" prototype

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:38:35 -0500
On Thursday 11 March 2004 03:10 pm, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message
> <Pine.BSF.4.21.0403111202000.87340-100000_at_InterJet.elischer.org>, Ju
>
> lian Elischer writes:
> >On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >

> >[...]
> >
> >> 	mkdir /usr/src/nanobsd
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >> Feedback of all sorts most welcome!  And more documentation
> >> to arrive as it gets written.
> >
> >wouldn't it make sense to put nanoBSD in release alongside picoBSD?
> >(that still leaves us microBSD and milliBSD :-)
>
> As I understand it picoBSD has never managed the 4.x->5.x transition
> and is scheduled to be removed if nobody starts paying attention
> to it soon.
>
> re_at_/scottl_at_ asked me to not put nanobsd in src/release as they would
> prefer it be kept for the "official release" stuff only, and to
> me src/tools actually makes a lot more sense after all.

I've actually wanted to use src/release/freebsd/ for the "official" FreeBSD
release bits so that src/release/fooBSD could be used for the "foo" dist.
picoBSD really should move more to a nano type model if it stays around
anyways.  Using splitfs should make it much easier to keep picoBSD around
actually, and to do what some people have long wanted: have the release
floppies actually be a 'release' picoBSD dist.