Re: network slowness/freez-up since update 10/11

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:27:15 -0700
Andrey,

I hate to sound rude here, but, if something's broken for you, and you
want that situation to change, barking at developers on current_at_ is more
likely to result in that code staying broken rather than being fixed.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:40:44PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> There is nowhere said in this commit that if_de would or ever may be
> broken. Everydays something new coming, and this commit is one between
> similar others, nothing brings special attention to be aware of. I'll
> expect special 'WARNING: de owners' message to current in such situations,
> i.e. if something is not fixed to work together.

I think your expectations of support are unrealistic here.
FreeBSD is a largely unfunded volunteer open source project.
de(4) has no official maintainer(s).  Patches are welcome.

On the other hand, if you want a commercial level of support, consider
paying for it.

If de(4) functionality is something you cannot live without, then consider
offering a bounty, perhaps teaming up with other people who badly need
de(4) support to match your funds and pool them.

As a device for getting the attention and time of open source developers,
this method works very well, and has been used here as well as in the
OpenBSD community.

Regards,
BMS