Re: HEADSUP: cpufreq import complete, acpi_throttling changed

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_niksun.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:43:24 -0500
On Sunday 06 February 2005 04:21 pm, Nate Lawson wrote:
> I've finished the major work of importing cpufreq.  As part of
> this, the sysctls for acpi throttling have been removed.  The
> power_profile script has been updated, so you can use
> performance/economy_cpu_freq= in rc.conf to set AC on/offline cpu
> frequencies.  The acpi throttling support has been compiled into
> acpi_perf.ko so load that to get throttling.  Do a sysctl dev.cpu
> to get an understanding of the cpufreq sysctls.
>
> If you have throttling, please test the new configuration to be
> sure it still works as before.  Final upcoming work will be manpage
> support and bugfixing as necessary.
>
> I'd also like to issue a call for developers to help by porting
> older drivers (like longrun) and out-of-tree new drivers (like
> powernow-k7/k8 and speedstep-m) to the cpufreq interface.  It's
> very simple and you just have to figure out if your driver is
> absolute or relative, and convert values to the proper units
> (percent in hundredths, power in mW, etc.)  Once that is done,
> please send me the diff for review before commit so I can make sure
> it works properly.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Nate

I ported Athlon 64's Cool'n'Quiet part of 'acpi_ppc' to the cpufreq
interface.  This is really quick-and-dirty version (i. e., lots of
cut-and-paste's from acpi_perf and acpi_ppc) but it seems to work.
The original driver is available from here:

http://www.spa.is.uec.ac.jp/~nfukuda/software/

1.  Create sys/modules/acpi/acpi_cnq directory.
2.  Copy acpi_cnq.c to sys/dev/acpica directory.
3.  Copy Makefile to sys/modules/acpi/acpi_cnq directory.
4.  'cd sys/modules/acpi/acpi_cnq'.
5.  Run 'make' and 'make install'.
6.  'kldload acpi_cnq'

That should do.