Re: questions about 8.0-RELEASE

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:19:28 +0000
>First, has libm finally had the log2 functions defined in the C99 spec
>added? (this is an issue dating back to 2005, standards/83845 )

No, nor some other functions in the spec.  But you could add it by
patching libm or using libmap.conf(5) to divert the loader from libm
to a library of your own. Someone posted an implementation for a port
derived from Sun sources in:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2009-March/009819.html

>Second, I'm aware that altivec support is implemented in -CURRENT, as of
>some months ago, will this be stable enough for release?

I don't know. I haven't seen any complaints about it.

>Third (more a support question), what's a good and quick way to clean
>out every port? I'll need to recompile everything (damn tier 2 ;))

pkg_delete -af
rm -r /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
rm -r /var/db/pkg/*
rm -r /usr/local/*  (if you don't have any locally-modified
configuration files you want to keep..)
rm -r /var/db/ports/* (if you want to wipe your recorded port OPTIONS ...)

>Fourth, how is the new shared versioning meant to work?

Do you mean this?:

http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/freebsd_versioning.txt

b.