Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:21:27 +0200
On 09/01/11 20:26, Matt Thyer wrote:
> Advocacy by the project members is not going to be taken as seriously as an
> independent third party comparison.
>
> It's clear to me that the project should stick to improving it's own feature
> set and leave these sorts of things to others.
>
> Otherwise we're straying into Fanboy territory which aint pretty.
>
> Once we have some world beating (or even close to equalling) performance we
> can start to request that third parties take us seriously.

What about this.

People seem to have problems in a comparison. Seriously and
indenepndently done, or not.

For interested people like me with a basic education in "modern
operating systems", I'm, for instance, not familiar with several termini
technici. Let us start with the scheduling/scheduler. It is always usual
to use the so called O-calculus ("Big Landau"-Symbol). How about to
start with just lining up some "commong" things those POSIX operating
systems do have. Scheduler, their internal "logic" and some pro and contra.
Or "Big/huge pages". As far as I can recall BSDs call them different
than Linux folks and for those not that deep in OS-internal bits it's
hard to figure out what's meant to be said by "huge pages". I'm pretty
sure, OS X has the same - but the child is called by another name. And
even more, for those not familiar with the history and reasoning of the
two great UNIX-evolution trees: How init starts up. BSDs/MACH start in
two steps, SysV/Linux needs seven or so. And even this: what is the main
difference between OS X (MACH), Linux (SysV based) and FreeBSD (4.4BSD
based)? I'm pretty sure, all you people reading this list and emails are
quite able to digg for the right answeres pretty fast since all of you
are involved in the matter, but try to find answeres beyond your
knowledge, imagine a perspective of those looking for the holy grale but
do not even have any idea how the grale looks like! This could be a good
startting point, being neutral and having still the ability to start
comparisons if desired.
Like me, I do not know much about the filesystems and capabilities of
those beyond FreeBSD's, so facilities like journaling etc. could be
mentioned and so on.

What about such a "first step"?

Sorry, if this already has been realized anyhow on the page and I'm
simply to blind to find it (it would otherwise be a index of "it could
not be find as easy as it is supposed to be").

Regards,
Oliver