make package fails in chroot: tar: getvfsbyname failed: No such file or directory

From: Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd_at_psconsult.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:20:47 +0200
Hi,

I have a wrapper script that builds packages in a chroot environment
which happily runs on release 6 thru 9 and earlier 10 but fails with:

  tar: getvfsbyname failed: No such file or directory

on a recent -CURRENT.

What I could dig up so far is that "make package-recursive" calls
pkg_create(1) which in turn calls "tar -c -f <portname>.tbz -j -T -"
and then starts feeding filenames that should go into the tarball.

Something has changed in libarchive when
src/contrib/libarchive/libarchive/archive_read_disk_posix.c was
introduced (libarchive 3.0.3, svn rev 232153 I think) where
setup_current_filesystem() calls getvfsbyname().

Now it's getting too hairy for me so I hope someone with more
insight in this kind of stuff can help me out.

My chroot environment has a root directory which is a subdir of my build
environment, so not a mountpoint by itself. /usr/src and /usr/ports are
NFS mounted from a fileserver and I have devfs mounted on /dev.

Thanks for any help!

With kind regards,

Paul Schenkeveld