Re: Boot fails _at_r264070

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:06:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, David Wolfskill wrote:

> And on my laptop, I had no problems (using AHCI).  The build machine,
> though, starts OK, then comes to an inglorious end:
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/aacd0s4a [rw]...
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/aacd0s4a ...
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/aacd0s4a failed with error 19.

[...]
> mountroot>
>

> So... I have serial console access; is there any debugging I might
> do to help figure out what's wrong?  Or is what's wrong already
> known?
>
> I have been able to reboot from this point to one of the other
> slices; I could probably also unload the default kernel & load
> yesterday's (err... make that "the day before's" -- yesterday's
> didn't build -- _at_r263983).

I'm also having some trouble booting (into single user mode, so as to run
the installworld), at r264039.  It seems that ciss never attaches, so my
da0 (which is supposed to be on ciss0) does not appear.  My kernel.old is
much older, __FreeBSD_version 1100005, but does boot.  However, attempting
to boot kernel.old in either single-user mode or verbse mode also drops me
to mountroot> .  That would seem to indicate some hardware problem or
timing issues more than a problem with the code itself, so I had been
holding off on posting until I could get more information.

Unfortunately, my serial console is not working at the moment, so getting
more information is a bit challenging.  Diffing the dmesg from the good
and bad boots would probably be helpful for you to do.

-Ben