Re: NO_INSTALLEXTRAKERNELS and PkgBase

From: Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya) <"Ngie>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 00:58:14 -0700
> On May 7, 2016, at 00:46, Ben Woods <woodsb02_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 7 May 2016 at 09:41, Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> I think this raises a larger question - did "something" change that
> otherwise violates POLA?  The commit recently was intended to revert
> a POLA violation, so maybe I am not entirely clear on what branch this
> affects.
>
> Are we talking about head or stable/10 here?
>
> Glen
>
> I am talking about head, which no longer installs/packages multiple kernels by default.
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/Makefile.inc1?revision=299088&view=markup
>
> Whilst the r299088 commit is referring to a stable POLA violation, the commit itself is a change to head with a proposed MFC after 3 days. Its interesting, because this has surprised me when testing PkgBase on head, as the behaviour has changed from the initial announcement.

The behavior in and of itself (to me) is unintuitive. I use a different wrapper script [*] to install kernels with a different name because I want them to be versioned based on $KERNCONF + revision data. I only fixed building multiple kernels because the change that glebius tested didn’t work with more than one KERNCONF (hence the double commit).

I think the default behavior should be “yes” (not “no”) as many folks use a single KERNCONF, not multiple (on head), but I’m biased in this thinking...

Thanks!
-Ngie

* https://github.com/yaneurabeya/scratch/blob/master/bayonetta/root/bin/installkernel.sh